Woman Injured in Highway 50 Exit Ramp Accident
I’m Ed Smith, a Sacramento car accident lawyer. A woman was injured in a morning collision at a highway exit ramp along eastbound Highway 50 on April 7, 2018.
The crash occurred shortly before 9:00 in the morning at the Sunrise Boulevard exit ramp, according to the California Highway Patrol (CHP). It involved a Toyota Sienna minivan and a red Toyota Tacoma pickup. The crash happened when one of the vehicles spun out from the off-ramp onto the on-ramp in the Cloverleaf area. The Toyota exited the road and stopped about 40 feet off the roadway. The woman in the Toyota suffered minor injuries as a result of the collision.
Accidents on Freeway Ramps
Freeway on-ramps and exit ramps are locations where accidents commonly occur and may involve one vehicle or multiple vehicles. According to the American Safety Council, drivers should stay alert when entering an exit ramp, reduce speed and use signals before entering city driving. A study performed a few years ago by the National Institutes of Health reported that 50 percent of ramp accidents happened on exit ramps.
Faulty Engineering Can Contribute to On-Ramp/Exit Ramp Accidents
While some are due to driver error, others are caused by faulty engineering. Deceleration and acceleration lanes, the type of ramp, ramp lengths and configurations can all influence the likelihood of accidents when entering or exiting a road. Highway construction and maintenance falls under the jurisdiction of the government, which can be held liable in the event of an accidental injury or death is caused by inadequate or faulty construction.
Driver Error in Highway Ramp Accidents
Some of the following reasons contribute to accidents on entrance and exit ramps due to driver error:
- Changing lanes improperly
- Distracted driving
- Not signaling when changing lanes
- Fatigued driving
- Not yielding to other vehicles
- Drunk driving
Most Common Accident Injuries
Accident injuries may range from slight to severe injuries.
- Head injuries may range from mild to traumatic brain injuries. These can be caused by an individual striking their head against something inside the vehicle.
- Back injuries can cause pain, numbness and muscle weakness. Injuries to the spinal cord can result in paralysis, either total or partial.
- Broken bones are another type of severe injury. Some, such as femur fractures, can require surgery and an extended period of physical rehabilitation.
Types of Accidents
There are different types of accidents that occur. Of the types of crashes, 95 percent of the ramp accidents were run-off-road crashes, rear-end collisions and crashes where one vehicle sideswiped another. Additional accident types include:
- Side Impact Collisions: This type of accident is also called a broadside or T-bone accident. While most side impact collisions occur at intersections, they can also be found in exit ramp accidents.
- Vehicle Rollover: Rollovers happen most often when a vehicle has a high center of gravity. The strength of the roof is a determining factor in this sort of accident concerning occupant injuries. Speed can be a factor in whether a vehicle experiences a rollover.
Sacramento Car Accident Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, a Sacramento car accident lawyer. When someone you love has been killed, or you have been injured in an accident, you need experienced legal representation. Call me at (916) 921-6400 or (800) 404-5400. I can be reached online at my website AutoAccident.com. I will provide free and friendly advice when you reach out to me.
You may want to learn how my former clients feel about my practice. Just go to the following pages to find out:
Please visit our settlements and verdicts page to see how we have resolved other cases.
I’ve settled cases and won verdicts worth more than $1 million for clients. I was inducted into the Million Dollar Advocates because of this, an honor I am proud to mention.
Photo Attribution: https://pixabay.com/en/freeway-view-auto-automobile-216641/
:cd cha [cs 691] cv