Multiple Vehicle Accident on Hwy 99
I’m Ed Smith, a Sacramento car accident lawyer. A multiple vehicle accident in South Sacramento on March 31 resulted in one injury. Police and rescue personnel were called to the scene.
The crash happened at about 11:50 in the morning when a tan colored van, a gold Honda Civic, a silver Tesla and brown pickup collided on northbound California State Route 99 and 12th Avenue. The van was reported as overturned on the side of the road. The pickup truck also overturned, trapping one person inside. Several other vehicles pulled to the side of the road to assist.
One of the drivers received minor injuries in the accident and told police that the crash occurred when her silver Chevy SUV was struck by the pickup. She was able to exit her vehicle at T Street where authorities found the vehicle emitting smoke. EMTs were called to attend to the injured woman. It is unknown at this time whether the female driver was transported to a hospital for treatment.
The Dangers of Multiple Vehicle Collisions
An ordinary collision can result in injuries or deaths. That danger is compounded when multiple vehicles are involved. This is because vehicles involved can be struck repeatedly from multiple directions, increasing the extent of injuries and their severity. These injuries may include:
- Traumatic brain injury: These types of injuries may be from mild to severe, causing permanent disability or paralysis. Not all brain injuries present right away, and symptoms may appear over time. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, auto accidents are the main reason for deaths due to TBIs.
- Spinal cord injury: Injuries to the back and spinal cord may involve ligament or muscle damage that is treatable. Others may be more severe, involving partial or total paralysis, nerve damage or even require assistance with breathing. The Shepherd Center reports on what damage can be expected to the spinal cord, depending on its location.
- Broken bones: Because a vehicle being struck from multiple directions tosses the person inside the car at the same time, broken bones may be present in multiple places in the body.
- Chest trauma: This type of injury occurs when the chest strikes against the dashboard or steering wheel. In a high velocity accident, problems can occur with seat restraints and air bags, which might not employ correctly. This can amplify chest injuries, which may range from punctured lungs and broken ribs to heart damage or internal bleeding.
- Abdominal injuries: While some of these injuries may be directly related to the impact of a collision, others may be caused by the seat belt. They can include damage to the liver, spleen or other internal organs. Internal bleeding may also occur, which requires emergency intervention.
- Burn injuries: These occur when the vehicle catches on fire and can range from first to fourth-degree burns. Treatment depends on the severity and extent of the burn.
Liability in a Multiple Vehicle Accident
Assigning fault in a multiple vehicle accident is difficult. Forensic experts are often needed to sort out the way the accident happened. For instance, due to the multiple collisions that occur, it is possible that vehicles have been rearranged and do not resemble the order they were in when the crash occurred. To get an idea, reconstructionists use road marks such as skid marks and yaw marks to help. They also use computer-generated images as they reconstruct the accident scene.
Often, the lead vehicle may suddenly brake. This happens when a driver is not far enough away from a vehicle in front of them that slows unexpectedly. It also happens when a driver is not paying attention or is distracted. It is important to keep one car length away from a lead vehicle for every 10 mph of speed. At 55 mph, that would mean there should be 5.5 car lengths between vehicles. When faced with serious injuries and expenses, an auto accident lawyer can help obtain fair compensation to pay medical bills and other costs.
Related Articles by Sacramento Car Accident Lawyer, Ed Smith ~
Car Accident Lawyers in Sacramento
I’m Ed Smith, a Sacramento car accident lawyer. When you or someone in your family is hurt in a car accident, you need the insight an experienced lawyer can provide. Phone me anytime at (916) 921-6400 and (800) 404-5400 or contact me online at AutoAccident.com, my website.
I’ve practiced in Sacramento for 36 years and have helped my neighbors here and in other parts of Northern California with many traumatic accidents and wrongful death cases.
You can see how our law office has resolved other cases on our settlements and verdicts page.
You might want to see what former clients thought of our legal practice. Look at:
I’ve been awarded membership in the Million Dollar Advocates. This nationwide forum of trial lawyers includes only those who have won $1 million verdicts or settlements for clients.
Photo Attribution: https://pixabay.com/en/road-auto-jam-asphalt-highway-3251358/
:cd [cs 857] bw cv