Elderly Pedestrian Killed in Sacramento
I’m Ed Smith, a pedestrian accident attorney in Sacramento. On April 1, an elderly man was walking near Tahoe Park in Sacramento when he was hit by an alleged drunk driver. Unfortunately, the pedestrian passed away during hospitalization.
I want to express my sympathy to the family and friends of Mr. Jung.
The accident occurred at about 7:00 in the evening near Broadway and 53rd Street when Nahum Valdez, 38, drove into 88-year-old Kyung Rae Jung. Mr. Jung was transported to the UC Davis Medical Center for medical treatment, but efforts failed, and he succumbed to his injuries.
Nahum Valdez was arrested at the scene by officers from the Sacramento Police Department, who said that he was intoxicated. According to police, Valdez has been charged with DUI and suspected gross vehicular manslaughter. If convicted, under California law, Valdez could face from four to 10 years in state prison.
Sacramento Accidents Involving Pedestrians
Collisions between pedestrians and drivers have been a problem in Sacramento for a number of years. In 2017, there were 19 fatalities, almost twice that of the previous year. Injuries caused by collisions between cars and pedestrians number in the hundreds annually in the city. Although pedestrians are at fault in some accidents, negligence by drivers is the main cause and can result in serious injuries. Accidents due to driver error may include the following:
- Ignoring traffic laws: Reckless driving such as running a red light or traffic sign, not using turn signals and not yielding the right of way are major causes of collisions with pedestrians.
- Drunk driving: Those who are driving a motor vehicle with a BAC level of 0.08 or higher are guilty of drunk driving. In 2014, the latest year for compiled statistics, there were 1,080 drunk driving arrests made in Sacramento, about one-quarter of the number of accident injuries and fatalities.
- Distracted driving: Even though California has laws that make holding a cell phone while talking or texting illegal, it continues to be a problem. In addition, using a cell phone at all while driving distracts the driver from the road.
Pedestrian Errors in Traffic Collisions
Pedestrians are expected to also follow the law and use safety measures to protect themselves when walking. Here are some of the reasons pedestrians can be making an error, which can cause an accident with a motor vehicle:
- Wearing dark-colored clothing after dark: Even in areas that are fairly well lit, wearing dark clothing is a bad idea after dark for pedestrians. According to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS), 70 percent of pedestrian accidents occur during the evening hours. Wearing light-colored or bright clothing, using reflective strips on clothing and carrying a flashlight can help motorists spot a pedestrian more easily.
- Crossing at designated crosswalks: Crossing in the middle of the street, where it is unexpected by motorists, is dangerous. Using designated crosswalks can lower the risk of injury.
- Using electronics while walking: Texting or talking on a cell phone or using earbuds or headphones is not only distracting but can prevent a pedestrian from hearing approaching traffic.
- Alcohol or drug consumption: Both drugs and alcohol affect walkers as well as drivers. It reduces concentration, reaction time and the ability to think clearly.
- Vehicles that are turning: Pedestrians have a responsibility to look for vehicles that may turn into their paths. Even if the pedestrian does have the right of way, it is still a good idea to double check before stepping off the curb.
Related Articles by Sacramento Pedestrian Accident Attorney, Ed Smith:
Pedestrian Accident Attorney in Sacramento
I’m Ed Smith, a pedestrian accident attorney in Sacramento. If you have been injured in an accident as a pedestrian, help is only a call away. Phone me for friendly, compassionate and free advice at (916) 921-6400 or on our toll-free line at (800) 404-5400.
Since 1982, I’ve worked hard as an injury lawyer to defend the rights of those injured because of someone else’s negligence in Sacramento and surrounding Northern California. I’ve helped to obtain fair compensation in many areas of personal injury, including wrongful death and brain injuries.
Reviews or comments by former clients, along with some of our previous cases and their results, are posted at:
Million Dollar Forum is composed of trial lawyers who have obtained verdicts/settlements totaling at least $1 million for their clients. I’m a California member.
Photo Attribution: https://pixabay.com/en/people-walking-city-urban-knapsack-1031169/
:cd ds [cs 783] cv