Stockton Street Racing Accident Fatality
I’m Ed Smith, a Stockton car accident attorney. An auto accident occurred in central Stockton during the afternoon of Sunday, March 25, 2018. Authorities believe street racing was the cause of the accident resulting in the senseless death of an elderly man.
I would like to extend my condolences to the friends and family of the elderly man during their time of grief.
The Stockton Police Department reported that an elderly man was driving along East Oak Street in the vicinity of North California Street at approximately 5:00 pm. At the same time, two vehicles were allegedly racing one another along North California Street and collided with the elderly man’s vehicle. The vehicles involved in the illegal street racing incident reportedly fled the scene following the accident without rendering aid to the injured elderly man.
Nature of Injuries
An ambulance was dispatched to the scene to render emergency aid. The 65-year-old driver was transported by paramedics to the hospital where he later succumbed to his injuries.
Identity of Victim
The victim’s identity has not yet been released by the San Joaquin County Coroner’s Office. Officials are waiting until the family members of the deceased have been notifed of this tragedy.
Watch YouTube Video – By: KCRA News – Surveillance Video Records Deadly Street Racing Crash in Stockton
The following video shows the surveillance footage of the incident. Authorities have released the video in hopes of the public identifying the suspects involved. If you have any information that will help investigators, please call Stockton Police.
Investigators have identified the vehicles involved in the hit-and-run accident as a light-colored car and a black pickup truck with black rims. The suspects remain at large as of this writing.
Auto Accidents and Speeding
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), speeding was the leading cause of 10,111 traffic fatalities in 2016 alone. Speeding is hazardous for a variety of reasons including:
- Economic Losses: A speed-related crash can result in financial losses compounded by driving record points and increased insurance premiums. Some employers, such as Uber or Lyft, may reference an applicant’s driving record in a background check and reject their application due to speeding violations.
- Injury Severity: Accidents involving speeding vehicles can increase the degree of crash severity and result in serious injuries.
- Fuel Economy: Operating a vehicle at a high rate of speed can lead to increased fuel consumption and cost.
- Occupant Protection Equipment: Speeding can reduce the effectiveness of vehicle safety equipment, including air bags and seat belts, in the event of an auto accident.
- Reaction Time: Speeding motorists may not be able to react in time to avoid or mitigate a crash due to increased stopping distance.
Consequences of Street Racing
A speed contest, more commonly known as street racing, includes the exhibition of illegal speed conducted along highways or public streets. The following list compiled by the California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) includes some of the penalties a driver and spectator may face for street racing:
- A fine up to $1,000
- Imprisonment up to three months
- Insurance policy cancellation or increased premiums
- Issued equipment violations
- Revoked driver’s license
- Vehicle impounded for 30 days
Speed contests are dangerous as they threaten the safety and well-being of the public. If you or someone you love has been injured in a street racing accident caused by a negligent party, it is crucial to discuss the details of your case with an experienced Stockton personal injury and wrongful death lawyer.
Similar Content by Law Offices of Edward A. Smith:
- Car Accidents and Wrongful Death
- What is a Wrongful Death Claim?
- How Long do Wrongful Death Cases Take?
Stockton Personal Injury and Wrongful Death Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, a Stockton car accident attorney. Accidents involving street racing can result in severe injuries or death. If you or a loved one has been hurt or killed in an accident involving street racing, please call me right away at (209) 227-1931 for free, friendly advice. Outside the area, you may contact me toll-free at (800) 404-5400.
My client feedback is available for your convenience at:
I’ve been inducted into the Million Dollar Advocates Forum as a California member. This forum is a nationwide group of trial lawyers who have assisted their clients in obtaining million dollar awards through verdicts and settlements.
Please feel free to take a look at some of our Verdicts and Settlements listed here.
Image Credit: By “StockSnap” via Pixabay
:ds [cs 765] cv