Stockton Bicycle Accident Fatally Injures Man
I’m Ed Smith, a Stockton personal injury attorney. A bicycle accident occurred in south Stockton on March 15, 2018. Sadly, the accident claimed the life of a French Camp man.
Our heartfelt thoughts and sympathies are with the loved ones of the man during their time of grief and loss.
Officers from the Stockton Police Department responded to the scene of a bicycle accident along South El Dorado Street. Few details were immediately available following the collision. Officials reported that the bicyclist was, sadly, pronounced deceased at the scene by responding paramedics due to the severity of his injuries.
Identity of Victim
The San Joaquin County Coroner’s Office has identified the victim of the bicycle accident as Arturo Sanchez-Mendoza, a 38-year-old man of French Camp.
What Caused the Accident?
A cause of the accident is not yet known due to a pending investigation. Officials indicated that the involved driver remained at the scene and has been cooperative with the investigation.
Bicycle Safety Tips
Although riding a bicycle can be fun, riders should exercise due care and follow the rules of the road to reduce their risk of an accident. Some safety tips for bicycle riding include the following:
- Always wear your helmet.
- Find a bicycle that is a good fit for you; if it is too big, it may be harder for you to maintain control of the bike.
- Equip your bike with reflectors and a red rear light when visibility is poor or at night.
- Keep both hands on the handlebars at all times, unless you are signaling a turn to other drivers.
- Be on high alert for road hazards such as potholes, debris in the road and other obstacles.
- Obey all posted street signs, road markings, and signals, just like a motor vehicle.
- Ride your bike with the flow of traffic.
- Store all of your belongings in a backpack or securely strap them to the back of the bicycle.
- Wear bright-colored clothing during the day and reflective gear at night to indicate your presence to oncoming vehicles.
When you are planning your route as a bicyclist, always be sure to choose areas with slower speeds and less traffic to ensure your safety.
Cyclists are particularly vulnerable to suffering serious injuries in a bicycle accident due to their lack of protection. In fact, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) reported that two percent of traffic fatalities involved bicyclists in 2014. Some of the injuries commonly associated with such accidents include:
- Abdominal Trauma
- Clavicle Fractures
- Dental Injury
- Facial Lacerations and Fractures
- Head and Brain Injuries
- Nerve Damage
- Spinal Cord Injuries
- Wrongful Death
If you or a family member has been injured in a bicycle accident where negligence was a factor, it is important to discuss your options with an experienced personal injury lawyer in Stockton.
Related Content by Law Offices of Edward A. Smith:
Stockton Personal Injury & Bicycle Accident Attorneys
I’m Ed Smith, a Stockton personal injury attorney. Bicycle accidents can result in serious injuries or even death to those affected. If you or a loved one has been injured in an accident, please call me at (209) 227-1931 or (800) 404-5400 for free, friendly advice.
My client feedback is available for your viewing at:
I have been inducted into the Million Dollar Advocates Forum as a California member. This forum limits membership to trial attorneys who have won million dollar rewards in verdicts or settlements for clients.
Our Verdicts and Settlements page includes summaries of our prior cases and their results.
Picture Source: By “A.R. T” via Pexels
:ds [cs 618] cv