Pedestrian Death in Carmichael
I am Ed Smith, a pedestrian accident lawyer in Carmichael. A pedestrian lost his life on March 11 in Carmichael when he was struck by a vehicle.
I would like to extend my heartfelt sympathy to the friends and family who lost their loved one in this accident.
The accident occurred shortly before 9:00 p.m. as the man, who was named by the office of the County Coroner as Bobby Wilson, age 55 of Carmichael, was crossing Walnut Avenue outside of the crosswalk near Marconi Avenue. He was struck by a woman driving a Volkswagen Beetle heading northbound on Walnut, as stated by a representative of the California Highway Patrol CHP). The vehicle struck the pedestrian with its front end. Although Wilson was transported to a nearby medical center for treatment, he passed away at the hospital about an hour later.
Ways for Motorists to Avoid Pedestrian Accidents
Although cities around California are making improvements meant to reduce the number of pedestrian accidents, they still occur with frequency. Learning some of the ways that motorists can exercise caution may help avoid a tragedy.
- Speed can not only slow a motorist’s reaction time, it makes a collision with a pedestrian more deadly. Staying within the speed limit is the smart thing to do.
- Make it a point to yield to pedestrians. Not all intersections or pedestrian crossings are marked or located at intersections. Pedestrians cross at just about any intersection and may be using a crosswalk located in the middle of a street. Keep a lookout for anyone who might start to cross.
- Use extra caution when making a turn. Although pedestrians should be on the lookout for turning vehicles, this doesn’t always happen. In addition, a pedestrian may be in the blind spot on your vehicle or just out of sight of the driver. Slow down at intersections, and double check before turning.
- Older people, the disabled and children may require a longer time to cross. Older or disabled persons may also have a problem with vision or hearing. Exercise patience when they are crossing, and wait until they have reached safety before proceeding.
- Exercise caution where there is a lot of foot traffic such as when schools, churches, parks or local gathering places are nearby.
- Don’t drink and drive. Alcohol consumption while behind the wheel of a vehicle is illegal and clouds thinking as well as slows reaction time.
Related Articles by Carmichael Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Ed Smith
- If Pedestrian Crosses Outside a Crosswalk and Is Hit By a Motor Vehicle, Whose Fault Is It?
- Drivers Have a Duty of Care to Blind Pedestrians
How Pedestrians Can Stay Safe
There are a number of ways pedestrians can stay safe. They include:
- Being Visible: It is important to wear bright or light colors during the day and reflective clothing at night. If you don’t have reflective clothing or tape, carry a flashlight.
- Avoiding distractions: Using a cell phone when walking is a bad idea.
- Choosing not to use headphones: Using headphones to listen to music totally blocks your sense of hearing. That means that you won’t hear a car’s motor as it approaches.
- Crossing in well-lit places or in a crosswalk is a must.
- Avoiding alcohol is as important for a walker as it is for drivers.
Pedestrian Accident Lawyers in Carmichael
I am Ed Smith, a pedestrian accident lawyer in Carmichael. If you have been involved in a pedestrian accident, you might benefit from the friendly and free advice I can provide. Just call me at (916) 921-6400 or toll-free at (800) 404-5400. You can even contact me online if that is more convenient for you.
I’ve practiced as an injury lawyer since 1982 in Northern California. In this capacity, I have helped residents, including those in Carmichael, win just compensation in traumatic brain injury and car accident cases as well as wrongful death claims.
Million Dollar Advocates is a national forum of trial attorneys who have won verdicts or reached settlements of $1 million for their clients. I am a proud member from the state of California.
To get an idea of how previous cases were resolved, please visit Settlements and Verdicts.
If you want more information about personal injury law, stay here on AutoAccident.com, and peruse the many articles available. I have owned this website since establishing it.
Photo Attribution: https://www.pexels.com/photo/action-america-architecture-avenue-378570/
:cd [cs 775] cv