Bicyclist Seriously Injured in Sacramento Accident
I’m Ed Smith, a bicycle accident lawyer in Sacramento. A bicyclist was seriously injured on March 12 when he was struck by a motor vehicle in Sacramento.
My sympathy and prayers are with the family and friends of the injured man and that he will recover quickly and completely.
The accident occurred around 2:00 in the afternoon at J Street and 15th Street near the Convention Center. It was reported that the injuries to the bicyclist were from moderate to severe. Rescue personnel transported the man to a nearby hospital for treatment. The vehicle sustained significant damage to its hood and windshield. No information has been released as yet about the cause of the accident.
What Are the Most Common Injuries in Bicycle Accidents?
Although bike riders can suffer injuries through any type of accident, those suffered in a collision with a motor vehicle tend to be more severe. Some of the most common types of accident injuries are as follows:
- Concussions can result in headaches and coordination and balance problems as well as affecting the memory. These types of traumatic brain injuries may be temporary but all require medical attention to ensure that there are no other problems.
- Lacerations, bruises and road rash are common injuries as well as bone fractures.
- Dental injuries such as broken teeth, chipped teeth or fracture of the jaw also occur. While broken teeth are repairable by a dentist, a fractured jaw may require surgery or wiring of the jaw while it heals.
- Spinal injuries may include dislocation or a fracture somewhere within the spine. Pain, nerve damage, muscle spasms and weakness may result. In extreme injuries, paralysis and bowel or bladder changes can occur.
- Chest trauma may occur, resulting in broken ribs, a punctured lung or damage to the heart.
How Bicycle Riders Can Lower Their Risk
Prevention is key to avoiding injuries and accidents with motor vehicles. Following are some ways a bicycle rider can lower their risks:
- Make yourself more visible by wearing brightly colored clothing during the day and using reflective tape on clothing at night.
- Wear a helmet. It has been proven that helmets save lives.
- Ride a bike that is the correct size.
- Perform regular maintenance to avoid problems while riding, especially brakes.
- Ensure that your bicycle meets California standards for safety, including reflectors front and back and on both sides.
- Plan your route ahead of time to take the safest route if the area is unfamiliar
- Do not wear earphones or talk on a cell phone while riding. You must be able to hear the traffic around you, and cell phones are distracting.
- Never go bike riding if you’ve been drinking.
- Be careful to tuck in pant legs and shoe strings, so they can’t get caught, causing a crash.
- Use a backpack or carry-on for a bike instead of trying to carry items in your hand.
Statistics on Bicycle Accidents
According to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, bicycle collisions with motor vehicles account for around 2 percent of traffic accident fatalities each year with 835 occurring in 2016. The number of injuries to bicycle riders due to collisions with motor vehicles numbered around 45,000 in 2015, reported by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
Related Article by Bicycle Accident Lawyer in Sacramento Ed Smith
Sacramento Bicycle Accident Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, a bicycle accident lawyer in Sacramento. If you or your loved one has been injured by a motor vehicle in an accident, I can offer you my compassionate, friendly and free advice. Just call (916) 921-6400 or the toll-free line at (800) 404-5400. If you prefer, we have a short contact form at AutoAccident.com, the website I own and founded.
Clients have left comments about my law practice at:
I belong to the Million Dollar Advocates, a forum composed of trial lawyers who have won at least $1 million for their clients in settlements or verdicts.
Visit Verdicts and Settlements to look over a list of some of our previous cases and their results.
Photo Attribution: https://www.pexels.com/photo/city-girl-bike-speed-71096/
:cd [cs 733] cv