I-80 Entrance Ramp Accident in Sacramento
I’m Ed Smith, a car accident attorney in Sacramento. A crash occurred on March 22 along Interstate 80 involving two vehicles. It is unknown at this time whether injuries to the vehicles’ occupants resulted.
According to a report by the California Highway Patrol (CHP), the crash occurred shortly after 10:00 a.m. in the eastbound on-ramp of I-80 near Pasadena Avenue when a grey Ford Mustang and silver Honda Civic collided. One of the vehicles involved in the crash traveled off the road and into a ditch. A tow truck was called to extricate the vehicle while police investigated the scene of the crash. No injuries have been reported as of the time of this report.
Accidents on Freeway Ramps
Entrance and exit ramps onto highways are the site of more accidents each year than other types of highway accidents. Because vehicles have to merge with oncoming traffic or move to a different lane to exit while other vehicles are moving at high speed, it can be a dangerous maneuver.
Statistics on Freeway Exit and Entrance Accidents
A recent study of ramp accidents showed that not only do more accidents happen but there is a difference between the entrance and exit ramps. Fifty percent of accidents happen on exit ramps. This compares to 36 percent of all car accidents occurring on entrance ramps. The remaining 16 percent happened on access roads or on ramps used to connect two highways.
There are three types of car accidents commonly seen:
- Rear end accident: Common on entrance ramps. Congestion is implicated in such crashes.
- Run-off-road accident: This is the most common type on exit ramps. They usually happen on the curve of the ramp. They happen more at night and when the weather is bad. Speed and distraction are factors in run-off-road accidents as is alcohol use.
- Sideswipe or cut off accident: Common on entrance ramps. They happen most on access roads where cars hit big trucks broadside when merging.
Injuries in Ramp Accidents
Serious injuries can result from accidents on and around ramps. These include:
Ways to Prevent Accidents on Ramps
There are things you can do to help avoid ramp accidents.
- When you see another vehicle is trying to merge from an entrance ramp, slow down if you can, to let the vehicle in.
- As you are approaching a ramp, take note of the traffic waiting to enter. This will allow you to move over out of the innermost lane to avoid incoming vehicles.
- Make an effort to allow at least one vehicle to enter your lane from the ramp.
Entering the Highway in the Wrong Direction
Many times, a vehicle will enter the highway in the wrong direction. For the most part, the majority of wrong way drivers become aware they are going in the wrong direction and turn around. However, even sober drivers often continue to drive, ultimately hitting another vehicle head-on.
When faced with a wrong way driver, authorities suggest taking the following steps:
- Decrease speed: This allows you to have greater control over your vehicle.
- Move toward the right: When faced with an oncoming vehicle, try to move into the right-hand lane. This way you will be able to move off the road toward safety.
- Watch the road: It is essential to be alert for a wrong way driver. Be particularly attentive around entrance and exit points onto the roadway.
Car Accident Attorney in Sacramento
I’m Ed Smith, a car accident attorney in Sacramento. If you or a loved one suffered a catastrophic or serious injury in a motor vehicle accident due to another driver’s negligence, call me for free and friendly advice. You can contact me at (916) 921-6400, (800) 404-5400. You can reach me online also.
I’ve been assisting residents of Northern California and Sacramento for 35 years with car, truck and pedestrian accidents. In cases of wrongful death and traumatic brain injury among others, I’ve helped clients receive the compensation they deserve.
I belong to a forum designed for trial attorneys who have won a minimum of $1 million for their clients. Check out milliondollaradvocates.com.
If you would like to learn more about my practice as an injury lawyer and how I resolved cases, go to:
Photo Attribution: https://pixabay.com/en/road-highway-car-travel-truck-546155/
:cd [cs 744] cv