Safety Tips for Bicyclists in Elk Grove
I’m Ed Smith, an Elk Grove bicycle accident lawyer. California is one of the leading states for bicycle accident injuries. Learning some safety tips can help a bicycle rider be safer when heading into work, getting some exercise or just riding for pleasure.
Which Bicyclists Are Most at Risk for an Accident?
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration performed a detailed study of risk factors for bicycle accident fatalities. Their conclusions are as follows:
- The average age of a bicyclist who was killed in a motor vehicle accident was 45.
- Males comprised 88 percent of the fatalities.
- Alcohol consumption was a factor in both drivers of motor vehicles and bicycle riders. Bicyclists were shown to be legally drunk while riding at 19 percent. Motorists were found to be drunk driving in 16 percent of the fatal crashes.
- One out of five fatal accidents occurred between 6:00 in the evening and 8:59.
- Urban area collisions accounted for 71 percent of the bicycle accidents resulting in fatalities.
Although riding a bike can be fun, riders should keep in mind that bicycles are classified as vehicles. In addition, riders share the road with motor vehicles. Drivers who cannot see a bicycle rider and riders who ignore safety rules are more likely to be involved in a bicycle accident.
- Remember the bicycle riders are required to obey traffic laws just as motorists are.
- Wear clothing that makes you visible. Bright colors and reflective clothing after dark makes a rider more visible. It also helps to use reflective tape or flashing lights.
- Always keep at least one hand on the handlebars. If you are carrying items, pack them in a backpack or on a bicycle carrier.
- Ensure that your bicycle is a good fit. Riding a bike that is too large can cause an accident.
- Be careful around road hazards. Potholes, debris in the road and other obstacles can unbalance a rider, throwing him or her directly into the path of a motor vehicle.
- Perform necessary maintenance on your bicycle on a regular schedule. Pay special attention to tires and brakes.
- Use extra caution when riding after dark or at sunrise or sunset. This is when a bicycle rider is particularly difficult for drivers to see.
- Although only bicycle riders under the age of 18 are required to wear a helmet, they provide protection to avoid head injuries. Helmets worn in California must meet the standards of either the American Society for Testing Materials or the Snell Memorial Foundation. Using a helmet that does not meet these standards is illegal.
Watch Youtube Video ~ 5 Best Bike Lighting Systems Focusing on Performance, Safety, and Visibility. In this video learn about cutting edge technology to help keep bicyclists safe.
Bicyclist Fatalities and Injuries
According to the NHTSA, there were 818 fatalities and around 45,000 injuries to bicycle riders reported in 2015. In Elk Grove, there were 48 fatalities and injuries to bicyclists that year. Sacramento County itself saw 620 bicyclist collisions with motor vehicles, placing it in the number 11 spot among all the counties in the state.
Related Articles by Elk Grove Bicycle Accident Lawyer, Ed Smith ~
Elk Grove Bicycle Accident Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, an Elk Grove bicycle accident lawyer. It is important for bicyclists to ride safely. However, despite taking precautions, accidents can still occur. If that happens to you or has happened to someone you love, you need the guidance of an experienced injury lawyer. Phone me at (916) 694-0002 in Elk Grove or (800) 404-5400 out of the area. I’ll give you free and friendly advice.
Take a look at how I’ve resolved cases on settlements and verdicts.
You can see what former clients have to say at:
I’ve been able to garner million dollar settlements and verdicts in some cases. Check out milliondollaradvocates.com, a forum of trial attorneys, I have joined as a California member.
I founded and own AutoAccident.com so that I can provide clients with topics on personal injury law.
Photo Attribute: Safety Tips for Bicyclists in Elk Grove
:cd [cs 723] cv