Common Questions and Answers About Dog Bite Injuries
I’m Ed Smith, an Elk Grove dog bite lawyer. Dog bite injuries are common. Tragically, dog bites can end in death. Following are some of the most frequently asked questions about dog bites and the serious injuries they cause.
Is a Dog Bite Covered by Insurance?
Dog bites are generally covered under a property owner’s insurance or rental insurance if the property is being leased. However, the amount covered depends on the policy. In some instances, where the injury is extensive, insurance may not be sufficient to cover the medical costs, lost time from work and other expenses. In addition, an insurance company will want to pay out the smallest amount possible. Contacting a personal injury lawyer experienced in dog bite injuries can provide a more favorable outcome.
What Breeds Are Considered the Most Dangerous?
Any dog can inflict a dog bite, even if it is a dog an individual has been around numerous times. However, certain dog breeds have been noted as having more of a propensity to bite, and when they do, serious injuries can result. The following list for 2017 was compiled through news accounts throughout the year.
- Pit Bull
- German Shepherd
- Siberian Husky
- Chow Chow
- Great Dane
- Dogo Argentino
- Alaskan Malamute
Can I Sue in California If I Am Bitten by a Dog?
California is a strict liability state when it comes to dog bites. Under California Civil Code 3342, a dog owner is responsible for injuries, whether the bite occurs on property that is public or private. On private property, the bite must have occurred when an invitation to the visitor was implied or expressly given. However, this law does not apply to dogs used by the police or military when working.
At What Ages Are People Attacked by Dogs Most Often?
Dogsbite.org gathered statistical information to show at what ages fatalities most often occur as a result of a dog attack. Children and those over age 50 appear to be the most vulnerable to fatal attacks. The results are as follows:
- 28 percent: Ages 0 to 2
- 11 percent: Ages 3 to 4
- 12 percent: Ages 5 to 9
- 2 percent: Ages 10 to 18
- 3 percent: Ages 19 to 29
- 11 percent: Ages 30 to 49
- 16 percent: Ages 50 to 69
- 17 percent: Over age 69
What Common Injuries Are Caused by Dog Bites?
Dog bite injuries are often serious and require not just medical treatment but further repair with plastic surgery. Facial injuries are often the most challenging and have significant emotional consequences. Other injuries often associated with dog bites are:
- Puncture wounds: Such wounds are often deep, depending on the size of the dog, and frequently a nidus for infection. Deep puncture wounds can damage underlying layers such as tendons and nerves.
- Avulsions: Avulsions, where tissue is torn, often result from a dog bite. A dog’s teeth are meant to tear a prey’s flesh, and the same instinct is seen when the skin and underlying tissues are torn.
- Tissue loss: As a bite progresses, ripped skin and underlying tissue may be removed from the subject.
- Fractures: Fractures can be the result of the subject falling to the ground. This is particularly true in the elderly, resulting in a fractured hip.
- Scarring: Due to the nature of the injury, scars are common. To repair this damage, plastic surgery is often necessary.
- Crush injuries: This is seen when the dog bites down on the subject, particularly on a bony surface such as the hand. This can also result in fracture of the bone. Repair of this injury can be time consuming and difficult.
Related Articles by Elk Grove Dog Bite Lawyer, Ed Smith:
Elk Grove Dog Bite Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, an Elk Grove dog bite lawyer. Dog bites can cause severe injuries, and some leave behind nerve damage and require plastic surgery to repair. If you or a loved one has been injured because of a careless owner, call (916) 694-0002. I can offer you friendly advice, free of charge. Outside the Elk Grove area, call (800) 404-5400.
I have worked throughout Northern California and in Elk Grove as an injury lawyer since 1982. In that time, I have represented numerous injury cases involving areas such as traumatic injury and wrongful death.
For information on previous cases, visit Verdicts and Settlements.
As a Million Dollar Advocates California member, I join a group of top trial lawyers around the nation with client settlements or verdicts of one million dollars.
Thank you for visiting AutoAccident.com, the website that I own and founded to provide comprehensive information about California personal injuries.
Photo Attribution: https://stocksnap.io/photo/04HDCNFTY4
:cd [cs 811] cv