Truck Accidents in Fresno
I’m Ed Smith, a Fresno truck accident lawyer. California is heavily dependent on big trucks to haul freight back and forth. In fact, 78 percent of the communities in the state rely on big trucks to move goods, according to the California Department of Transportation. Unfortunately, this increases the risk of a motor vehicle collision with a large truck, which can result in devastating injuries or deaths.
Some California Roads Deemed Dangerous for Big Trucks
According to Caltrans, about 3,364 miles of roads in California are deemed dangerous for the passage of a big truck that is more than 30 feet long. These are considered “advisory routes,” where the trucker is advised to take an alternate route if possible because of the possibility that the truck may be forced to cross over the centerline or onto the shoulder.
Dangers of Driving in Fresno
A study conducted by ValuePenguin, a company that analyzes data, named Fresno as the city that was most dangerous in which to drive in the nation in 2016 and California State Route 99 as the most dangerous highway. This is because over a period of five years, there were a minimum of 62 fatalities across every 100 miles of this 400-mile-long stretch of highway.
How Do Motor Vehicles Cause Accidents?
One of the reasons for collisions between motor vehicles and big trucks may be due to the lack of knowledge about big trucks by other drivers.
- Driving in a truck’s blind spot or “no zone” is a major problem. If the driver of a motor vehicle cannot see the truck’s side view mirror, then the trucker cannot see your vehicle.
- When the driver of a motor vehicle passes a truck unsafely, it endangers both the motor vehicle and the truck driver. Do not pass a big truck on curves or hills. In addition, when passing, ensure there is sufficient space, and do not pace the truck. Keep in mind that for a short period of time, the trucker will not be able to see you or your vehicle.
- Remember that big trucks turn wide. The best advice is to stay back from a big truck when it is turning.
- Do not cut off a big truck. It takes a big truck much longer to stop, and a truck is much less maneuverable. Allow plenty of room to move in front of a big truck, and always signal your intention to change lanes. Don’t tailgate either. If the truck stops or slows suddenly, this could cause an underride accident, which is frequently deadly.
Common Reasons for Accidents Caused by Big Trucks
- Texting: Texting is a major reason for accidents among all drivers. However, when a trucker is distracted by texting, it can have serious consequences.
- Fatigue: Fatigue slows reflexes and makes a driver less alert. When subject to driving long hours at a stretch, it is important that a truck driver get sufficient rest to stay alert. However, sometimes tight scheduling and demands by the company the trucker works for can push a driver to stay on the road too long.
- Poor Maintenance of the Vehicle: Independent contractors are responsible for the upkeep of their own vehicle, while companies that employ truckers are responsible for the maintenance of their vehicles. Equipment malfunction is a cause of many accidents, the highest percentage are caused by faulty brakes. However, lights, engine problems, tire blowouts and other factors can come into play.
- Poor training: Handling a big rig takes skill and expertise. Poor training of a driver can result in jackknifing or a rollover, which can have deadly consequences.
- Speeding: Speeding contributes to accidents among drivers. However, since a big truck weighs considerably more than other vehicles, a high-speed accident can be disastrous.
- Distracted driving: Focus is necessary to stay safe on the road. Besides texting, talking on a cell phone, eating while driving or accessing GPS can cause an accident, resulting in injuries.
- Overloaded or poorly loaded cargo: Accidents are numerous on California roads with instances of spilled cargo or cargo coming off the back of a truck and striking another vehicle on the road.
Fresno Truck Accident Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, a Fresno truck accident lawyer. Being struck by a negligent driver of a big truck can cause devastating injuries or cause you to lose your loved one. If you have been injured or your loved one has died due to a truck accident, please phone me at (559) 377-7676. My advice is friendly and free. You can also reach me free of charge through my toll-free number at (800) 404-5400.
I belong to the Million Dollar Advocates, a group of trial attorneys across the nation who have won verdicts or settlements of $1 million or over.
It is important to have information about a legal practice before you decide to make that phone call for advice and help. On Settlements and Verdicts, you can see some of my earlier cases and results. In addition, comments on how I have assisted others is found at Yelp, Google Plus and at Avvo.
AutoAccident.com is my site, and I welcome you to explore useful information here about motor vehicle accidents and personal injuries.
Photo Attribution: Depositphotos_52394927_original.jpg
:cd [cs 911] cv