September 11 Truck Accident Closes Westbound Lanes of I-80
I’m Ed Smith, a Roseville truck accident lawyer. An accident on September 11 occurred along I-80 between a semitruck hauling lumber and an SUV close to Cisco Grove, east of Emigrant Gap, caused the closure of the lanes heading west. It took several hours for crews to remove debris and the damaged vehicles.
Few details were available on the accident which caused the semi to jackknife and hit a SUV traveling along I-80, according to a representative of the California Highway Patrol. The semi did not turn over in the crash; however, it did lose its load, which blocked the westbound lanes. While the SUV driver received injuries described as minor as a result of the crash, the semi driver was uninjured. The CHP reported that many spinouts in that area were probably a result of thunderstorms, some of which contained hail that was the size of marbles.
Jackknifing in Big Trucks
This type of accident causes the trailer being pulled to swing around, potentially resulting in a serious accident or a rollover. Big trucks that are pulling a trailer have three braking systems that have to be applied in order to slow the vehicle. One is located in the front to control the axle for steering, the second controls the wheels at the cab’s rear and the third set controls the wheels of the trailer. When faced with an emergency situation where a truck needs to stop quickly, the driver can only lock the brakes used for steering. By locking either of the other two sets of brakes, it places the truck in danger of jackknifing or losing control of the vehicle.
Common Reasons for a Jackknifing Accident:
- Speed is the number one reason for a jackknifing accident since it reduces a driver’s ability to slow or stop the vehicle.
- Taking a curve too quickly can also cause the trailer to swing out, potentially crossing into oncoming traffic. Driving on unfamiliar roads or taking a curve on a downgrade where trucks usually pick up speed due to the weight of the vehicle is a common cause of this type of crash.
- Weather conditions such as ice, snow or wet pavement can affect traction.
- Poor roadway maintenance by the county, state or federal government can cause a jackknife accident.
- Other drivers who may cut in front of a big truck too closely or suddenly slow down can cause a big truck to jackknife as the driver tries to slow or stop too suddenly.
- Poor maintenance of the vehicle’s tires or brakes can contribute to an accident.
- The owner or company received a recall notice and ignored it, resulting in a crash.
Injuries That Can Occur in a Jackknife Accident
Collisions with big trucks often result in serious injuries, whether the victim of the accident is in a motor vehicle, on a motorcycle or bicycle or is a pedestrian. These may include brain injuries, spinal cord injuries, contusions, burns, broken bones or internal injuries.
Roseville Truck Accident Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, a Roseville truck accident lawyer. A collision with a truck frequently causes serious injuries or can even result in the death of a loved one. If you or a family member has been injured or you have suffered a wrongful death in your family, please phone me at 916-921-6400 for my free, friendly advice. Long distance callers may wish to access my toll-free number at (808) 404-5400.
I belong to a group called the Million Dollar Advocates Forum as one of the California members. The membership of this forum is composed of trial attorneys with proven records of $1 million or over in settlements and/or verdicts for previous clients.
Google Plus, Yelp and Avvo offer helpful reviews and comments by former clients. Another helpful link is verdicts and settlements on my own website. It contains a list of some of my prior cases and their results.
I have practiced as an injury lawyer in California since 1982. It has been my privilege to have helped numerous accident injury victims, including in Roseville and the rest of Northern California, with obtaining fair compensation for their traumatic injuries and for wrongful death claims.
Photo Attribution: https://pixabay.com/en/highway-jam-traffic-pkw-autos-1761825/
:cd [cs 723] cv