Bicyclist Killed in Sacramento by Motor Vehicle
I’m Ed Smith, a Sacramento bicycle accident lawyer. An accident recently claimed the life of a man who was riding a bicycle along Mack Road when he was hit by a motor vehicle.
Shortly before 9:30 in the evening, an unidentified man somewhere in his 50s was hit by a motor vehicle along Mack Road near where it intersects with Summerdale Drive. The driver of the motor vehicle stayed at the crash scene. Both the driver of the motor vehicle and bicyclist were taken to a hospital, where the bicycle rider was declared dead later. Police are conducting an investigation into the cause of the crash, and neither drugs nor alcohol are considered to be a reason for the accident.
We extend our condolences to the family of the man who passed away in this tragic accident.
In Sacramento, according to the California Office of Traffic Safety, there were 213 bicyclists injured or killed in 2014, the latest year for which results are available. When compared with other cities of a similar size, Sacramento ranks fifth out of 14 other California cities. The rank is inversely proportional to the number of accidents, so the more accidents there are, the lower the ranking. In addition, there were 30 young people under the age of 15 injured or killed in the same time period, giving Sacramento a rank of number one in terms of young cyclists who were injured or killed in 2014.
By comparison, Sacramento County recorded 579 bicyclists who were injured or killed in 2014, making it seventeenth out of 58 counties in California. There were 76 bicyclists under 15 who died or were injured, putting Sacramento at third out of 58 other counties in the state.
Causes of Bicycle Accidents
There are many causes of bicycle accidents. For the most part, bicyclists are more vulnerable to outside impact due to their lack of protection and the disparity between the weight of a passenger vehicle (two tons) and a bicycle (20 pounds). In addition, despite bicycling becoming more used as a mode of transportation and exercise, the bicyclist is often invisible to motorists. The combination makes bicycle accident injuries catastrophic in many instances, and the severity of bicycle accident injuries has been increasing. The most common injuries are:
- Lower extremity fractures
- Upper extremity fractures, particularly fracture of the hands
- Clavicular fracture
- Neck injuries
- Neurological injuries
- Dislocation of joints
- Spinal injuries
- Facial lacerations
- Dental trauma
- Traumatic brain injury
Rules Motorists Must Abide By
There are rules motorists must follow when they are on the road with other vehicles and bicycles.
- If the motorist is passing a bike rider on the road, there must be a clear zone of three feet. If possible, the motorist should move into the lane to the left when passing.
- In an intersection, you must yield to a bicyclist in the same fashion as you would for other vehicles.
- A motorist should not drive in the bicycle lane unless it is clear, and the motorist is making a turn.
- It is important to be particularly careful if the biker is a child.
Rules Bicyclists Must Abide By
There are rules cyclists must follow, they are:
- Stay to the right and single file when traffic prevails.
- Let motorists know when stopping or turning by using hand signals.
- Maintain a proper distance from any vehicle that is parked, usually about three feet if possible.
- Stay alert for vehicles coming up behind you or on the side .
- Do not tailgate a motor vehicle.
- Don’t stay in a vehicle’s blind spot.
- Make sure your bicycle is well maintained, and check prior to using it.
Sacramento Bicycle Accident Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, a Sacramento bicycle accident lawyer. When you’ve worked as an injury lawyer since 1982 and have represented many clients in their personal injury claims and wrongful death lawsuits, you know how to get fair and just compensation for those who have suffered an injury or loss. If you or your loved one has been injured in a bicycle accident, call my office at (916) 921-6400 or on my toll-free number (800) 404-5400 for my friendly and free advice. There is no charge until you win.
Becoming familiar with client reviews is a good way to choose an injury lawyer. Mine can be found on Yelp, Avvo and on Google Plus. You can view the Verdicts and Settlements page to see what I won for other clients.
Million Dollar Advocates is a group that recognizes lawyers from all over the country who have won settlements or verdicts of $1 million for their clients. I am a California member of this forum.
For more information about personal injury law and daily blogs, check out more topics on my website at www.autoaccident.com, which I founded and own.
Photo Attribution: Wikimedia Commons biker-446071_1920.jpg
:cd [cs 803] cv