Popular Director and Actor Dies in One Vehicle Accident
I’m Ed Smith, a Ventura car accident lawyer. A one vehicle accident in Ojai on July 7 claimed the life of a popular local actor and director for the Kingsmen Shakespeare Company. John Slade, a resident of Ojai, died while driving from a rehearsal for “Julius Caesar” back to his home. No details are available on how the accident occurred, or what may have precipitated the crash.
I want to extend my sympathy to Mr. Slade’s family and friends for this tragic loss.
The production of “Julius Caesar” is scheduled as the last in the 21st season of the Shakespeare Festival. The artistic director and founder of the acting group, Michael Arndt, is expected to take over Slade’s role as director. The play is scheduled to run for three weekends, July 21-23, July 28-30 and August 4-6. It is being held at in Kingsmen Park at California Lutheran University campus in Thousand Oaks.
Causes of Accidents Involving One Vehicle
While many people think of a motor vehicle accident as involving more than one vehicle, crashes that involve only one are common. In single vehicle accidents, the collision is usually with a stationary object such as a phone pole, tree or another vehicle that is parked. Most of these crashes are attributed to error on the part of the driver such as the following list.
- Distracted driving such as talking or texting on a cell phone is a major cause of driver error and motor vehicle accidents of all types.
- Speeding is another major driver error because the driver can lose control of the vehicle.
- Drunk and/or drugged driving impairs a driver’s judgment and reaction time. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported 10,265 deaths in 2015 caused by impaired driving.
- Drowsy driving or falling asleep behind the wheel occurs when the driver has been behind the wheel for too long or is too tired to be driving. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration reported 846 deaths attributed to drowsy driving in 2014, along with 72,000 accidents in 2013.
- Adverse weather conditions such as driving on rain soaked, snowy or icy roads can lead to the driver losing control of the vehicle.
Accident Causes Other Than Driver Error
Not all single vehicle accidents are the driver’s fault. Some may be caused by the following.
- The road may be responsible for the defective or hazardous condition that caused the accident. Poorly maintained roads that have potholes or are improperly marked may cause accidents. In addition, on-ramps that are too short and curves that are too sharp for a driver to stay in his or her lane are dangerous to drivers.
- Mechanical defects contribute to an accident. This may be a problem with the motor, accelerator, brakes, steering wheel or tires. While some of these problems may be a product liability problem due to a manufacturer defect, others may be caused by improper maintenance by a mechanic.
- A single vehicle accident can actually be caused by another driver. This happens when another driver crosses over the line as it passes the first vehicle, forcing it to move over and creating a dangerous condition where the first driver either strikes an object by the road or loses control. In this case, it may be possible to obtain video footage of the crash to determine whether a second party was responsible for the crash.
Ventura Car Accident Lawyer & Personal Injury Attorney
I’m Ed Smith, a Ventura car accident lawyer. Single vehicle accidents are a major cause of injuries and deaths among motorists. When you have lost a loved one due to negligence, please call (805) 372-0200, and I will offer you my free and friendly advice. If you prefer, you can contact me through my toll-free line at (800) 404-5400.
I am proud to serve Californians, including Ventura and Ventura County residents, injured by careless drivers and other negligent entities for over three decades as an injury lawyer.
To see some of the reviews or ratings by my previous clients, please go to Google Plus, Yelp and the legal rating site Avvo. You might also be interested in looking over the Verdicts and Settlements listings on my website to get a better idea of the types of cases I have handled for my clients.
As a Million Dollar Advocates Forum member, I belong to a group that has a membership restricted to trial attorneys who have prevailed in cases that have won amounts of seven figures or higher in verdicts or settlements for clients.
Autoaccident.com is my website and offers comprehensive information about personal injuries for those living in the state of California.
Photo Attribution: Car_crash_2-1.jpg
:cd bw [cs 799] cv