Oxnard Car Accident Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, an Oxnard car accident lawyer. Did you know that more than 3 million people are injured each year in motor vehicle accidents? In addition, in 2015, 35,092 individuals lost their lives on the nation’s roads and streets, according to research published by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Many families had to deal with the brunt of lost income and medical expenses while their loved ones healed from the injuries. Others have had to deal with the grief and financial hardship of losing a loved one.
What Is a Motor Vehicle Accident Personal Injury?
When an individual is injured in a motor vehicle accident through another driver’s negligence, the injured person may be able to recover damages to pay for the financial loss either through the insurance company or through a lawsuit. However, there is a statute of limitations for filing a lawsuit in California, and consulting an experienced injury lawyer to represent you is important in order to receive maximum compensation. Those who have lost a family member may be able to file a wrongful death lawsuit to recover damages.
Incidence of Motor Vehicle Accidents in Oxnard
Oxnard had the lowest rate of accident injuries and deaths in California in 2014, however, the numbers have been climbing since then. In 2014, there were 106 reported fatalities and injuries in Oxnard. Forty of those were cited for speeding as a factor in the crash, while nine involved were drunk drivers. Nine of those persons who were either injured or died as the result of a crash were motorcyclists, four were pedestrians and four were bicyclists.The number of DUI arrests made that year totaled 443.
Recoverable Damages in a Personal Injury Lawsuit
- Current and future medical expenses: This includes expenses that arise as a result of the accident such as doctor visits, hospital expenses, medical tests, rehabilitation and other direct expenses.
- Lost wages: If a person is unable to work, they may be compensated for the wages they would have received.
- Loss of earning capacity: If an injured person can show that his/her ability to work in the future is diminished or absent due to the injury, they may recover future lost wages.
- Pain and suffering: This category includes both physical pain and emotional damage caused by the accident. Physical pain includes actual pain at the current time and future pain if the condition is deemed ongoing. Mental anguish can include insomnia, nightmares, anxiety, depression and other aspects.
- Out-of-Pocket Expenses: This category may include expenses for travel to and from a physician’s office, prescriptions and medical devices such as a wheelchair or crutches.
How a Car Accident Lawyer Proves Liability in an Accident
A car accident lawyer builds a strong case to recover damages by doing the following:
- Obtaining a copy of the police report, if available
- Conducting an on-site investigation of the crash, including tire and yaw marks
- Gathering evidence and preserving it
- Examining documents from the other side in discovery
- Conducting negotiations with insurance companies
- Interviewing witnesses to the accident
- Obtaining records of expenses (medical, time off from work, etc.) to support your claim
- Employing expert witness when necessary to help prove your case
- Building the case
- Taking care of appropriate court filings, to make sure you meet the prescribed time within which the case may be filed.
Oxnard Car Accident Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, an Oxnard car accident lawyer. When you or your family member has suffered injuries through another person’s negligence in a motor vehicle accident, give me a call at (805) 372-0200 or at my toll-free number (800) 404-5400. The advice I offer is friendly and free.
I am the founder/owner of AutoAccident.com, which contains comprehensive information about all types of personal injuries. I have been in practice for 35 years helping Oxnard and Ventura County residents obtain just compensation in their traumatic injury or wrongful death claims.
The Million Dollar Advocates is a site reserved for trial lawyers who have secured $1 million or over in verdicts or settlements for clients. I am a member representing California.
Photo Attribution: https://pixabay.com/en/accident-car-accident-car-scrap-785442/
:cd bw cv