Merced County Charter Bus Fire
I’m Ed Smith, a Merced personal injury lawyer. A charter bus was returning from the Monterey Bay Aquarium to an elementary school in Hanford during the afternoon hours of Wednesday, May 24, 2017. An amazing day at the aquarium ended in a frightening situation when the charter bus caught fire during the travel.
A charter bus carrying students from Martin Luther King Jr. Elementary School was traveling southbound along Interstate 5 at approximately 4:20 pm. The driver of the bus pulled over immediately after noticing smoke was coming from the engine compartment located in the rear of the vehicle near Los Banos. About 50 students and adults were on the bus at the time of the fire, all of which were able to exit in time before the fire spread throughout the vehicle.
Bus Fire Shuts Down Highway
Both southbound lanes of Interstate 5 were shut down for approximately 30 to 45 minutes due to the blaze. Firefighters worked during that time to put out the fire.
What Caused the Bus Fire?
The cause of the bus fire is still under investigation by authorities.
Was Anybody Injured?
All of the passengers were able to exit the bus safely. However, one child did suffer an asthma attack due to the fire.
According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), school bus fires accounted for approximately 1% of the total reported vehicle fires from 1999 to 2003. School bus fires also accounted for 1% of the deaths caused by vehicular fires, 2% of burn injuries, and 2% of property damage. On average, about six vehicular fires involving school buses were reported every day.
Similar Content by Edward A. Smith:
Merced Personal Injury Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, a Merced personal injury lawyer. If you, or a loved one has suffered injuries resulting from an automobile, bus or truck accident, please give me a call at (209) 227-1931 for free, friendly advice. Or, you may also contact me free of toll at (800) 404-5400.
Learn more about our law office here.
Take a look at our client reviews on the following rating websites:
I am a member of the Million Dollar Advocates Forum. This forum includes attorneys that have garnered million dollar verdicts and settlements.
See some of my Past Verdicts and Settlements.
Information Source for Merced County Charter Bus Fire: http://kron4.com/2017/05/24/video-charter-bus-with-school-children-aboard-catches-fire-near-los-banos/
Photograph Source: fir0002 | flagstaffotos.com.au via Wikimedia Commons