DUI Crash Kills Oroville Man
I’m Ed Smith, an Oroville personal injury lawyer. A DUI driver was involved in an automobile accident with an Oroville man during the evening hours of Friday, May 19, 2017. Unfortunately, the collision caused the Oroville man to suffer fatal injuries.
A 56-year-old Oroville man was driving his 1978 Chevrolet Caballero southbound along Highway 99 in the vicinity of Dakota Avenue. A 70-year-old Gridley man was behind the wheel of his 2002 Chevrolet Silverado traveling northbound along Highway 99 at the same time. The Gridley man slowed his vehicle to make a left turn into a driveway but failed to yield the right-of-way to the Oroville man’s truck. The left front side of the Gridley man’s truck collided with the left front side of the Oroville man’s vehicle.
Were They Injured?
The Gridley man did not appear to have been injured in the accident. However, the man was taken to a hospital for an evaluation. It was later found that the man suffered an unrelated medical condition that required treatment. Unfortunately, the Oroville man succumbed to his injuries at the scene.
Our deepest sympathies are with the loved ones of the man who lost his life.
What Caused the Accident?
Officers from the California Highway Patrol (CHP) indicated that drunk driving played as a factor in the accident. The 70-year-old Gridley man was arrested on suspicion of driving under the influence of alcohol. The man was not immediately booked, however, he was charged for DUI and vehicular manslaughter.
Drunk Driving Statistics
- In the United States about every 90 seconds someone is hurt in a drunk driving accident. Source: Data last recorded in 2011 from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).
- Approximately 1.2 million motorists were arrested in 2011 for driving under the influence of narcotics or alcohol. (Source: NHTSA).
- Alcohol or drug-related traffic accidents don’t only affect the driver who is impaired. One third of drug or alcohol-involved fatalities are occupants, passengers in other motor vehicles or pedestrians. Source: 2011 Data from the US Department of Justice.
- A typical drunk driver has driven intoxicated 80 times prior to his or her first time being arrested. Source: 2011 Report from AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety
- $132 billion is spent each year in our country in connection with alcohol-impaired motor vehicle accidents. Source: FBI
- About 23 million people in America are currently addicted to drugs and/or alcohol. Alcohol abuse makes up about 18.7 million of that figure. Source: 2009 (CATG) Closing the Addiction Treatment Gap.
Related Content by Edward A. Smith:
- What is a Wrongful Death Claim?
- What are the Most Common Causes of Wrongful Death?
- What is a Wrongful Death Action and What is a Survival Action?
Oroville Personal Injury Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, an Oroville personal injury lawyer. If you, or a loved one, have suffered injuries from an accident caused by a negligent party, please call me at (530) 392-9400 for free, friendly advice. If you have lost someone you love in an accident, please give me a call. You also may connect with me free of toll at (800) 404-5400.
Learn more about the Law Offices of Edward A. Smith, here.
I am proud to be included in the forum of the Million Dollar Advocates. The group includes top-ranking United States injury and trial attorneys with verdicts and settlements in excess of $1 Million Dollars for some of our past clients.
See some of my Verdicts and Settlements here.
Image Source: Wikimedia Commons Public Domain Images