Davis Bicyclist Accident
I’m Ed Smith, a Davis bicycle accident attorney. On Tuesday, January 10, 2017, Davis Police received reports of a vehicle versus bicyclist accident.
At approximately 3:20 p.m. officers responded to a call in the area of Kent Drive and Sycamore Lane in Davis. The driver of a white Audi hit a bicyclist. The driver remained on scene and waited for law enforcement to arrive. It is not known if the bicyclist suffered any injuries due to the accident.
Bicycling Safety Measures
Cyclists need to use additional caution when on the road, including following the below-listed safety measures:
- Wear bright clothing
- Wear a helmet at all times
- Follow the rules of the road
- Keep an eye out for traffic, vehicles, and other cyclists
- Use proper bicycle safety measures such as hand signals, reflectors or lights, and a horn
- Exercise extreme caution
- Keep your focus of sight up and forward
- Stay on the correct side of the road
- Always use bike lanes if they are available
Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents
Bicycle accidents occur for a multitude of reasons. Here are some of the most common:
- A lack of proper signage on roadways.
- Distracted or careless drivers not paying attention.
- Cracks, potholes or bumps in the road or course.
- Motorists who are driving under the influence.
- Drivers who do not make safe turns or lane changes.
- Motorists who fail to check for oncoming traffic before opening their car doors or pulling out of their parking spot.
Wearing a Helmet is Crucial
Bicycle accidents can lead to traumatic injuries and even death. The rider has no protection around their body when hit by a vehicle. Bicycles don’t provide the same safety features that a vehicle provides, such as seat belts, airbags, metal enclosures and antilock brakes. The only safety features cyclists are equipped with is the gear they choose to wear such as gloves and helmets. It is very important to make sure these items are of good quality and meet safety standards.
Dangers of Being Ejected off a Bicycle
In many cases when a cyclist is in involved in an accident, they are thrown off of their bicycle. When this happens they face the additional danger of being hit by an oncoming car. Bicycle accidents are very preventable yet they usually take place suddenly and are unexpected, leaving the cyclist little to no time to react. Due to the fact that bicycles travel at a relatively low speed, it makes it difficult for the cyclist to avoid a collision by moving out of the way of a motor vehicle.
Related Article by Ed Smith:
Davis Bicycle Accident Attorneys
I’m Ed Smith, a Davis bicycle accident attorney. If you or a loved one has been involved in a bicycle accident and suffered injuries due to another parties negligent actions, please call me anytime at (530) 392-9400 or (800) 404-5400 for free, friendly advice.
I am a proud California member of The Million Dollar Advocates Forum. We are some of the top-ranked US Trial Lawyers with multiple million dollar verdicts.
View my Past Verdicts and Settlements.
Founder of www.autoaccident.com, Northern California’s leading website for personal injury and auto accident information.
Image Attribution: Wikimedia Commons