Chico Train Kills Pedestrian
The Chico Police Department reports that the accident occurred at approximately 6:00 am near the Amtrak train station on 450 Orange Street. The train came to an immediate halt after coming into contact with the pedestrian. The West 1st Street to West 9th Street railroad crossings were shut down at 7:00 am on the morning of Wednesday, August 31st, 2016.
Chico Police Department Reports
The Chico Police Department reports that causes and circumstances of the train versus pedestrian accident are still under investigation. Authorities are in the process of finding the identity of the pedestrian. According to witnesses at the scene, they observed the man nearby the train tracks right before he came into contact with the oncoming train. Authorities have not released additional details in regard to the pedestrian accident at this time. A S.W.A.T officer from the department, Officer McKinnon, advises that students from Chico State should not climb over or crawl under the stopped train.
Railroad Crossing Safety Tips
- Always look both ways and quickly cross without making any stops while you are on foot or in a vehicle.
- Be sure not to cross over the rail road tracks after a train has just passed. There is a possibility that there may be a train approaching from an opposite direction.
- Never attempt to jump on or off a train that is in motion.
- Do not cross or walk over train tracks if you are intoxicated.
- Call 9-1-1 if your vehicle stalls or is stopped on the tracks. Immediately exit your vehicle and do not stay close to the tracks.
- A designated crosswalk ensures the safety of pedestrians if you do need to cross over railroad tracks.
- Remain at a minimum distance away from the tracks for oncoming trains can hang over the track about 3 feet or more.
- Always seek medical attention if you are injured as a result of a train accident.
Chico Wrongful Death Attorney
I’m Ed Smith, a Chico Wrongful Death Attorney. If you or a member in your family was severely injured in a fire or a car accident, please contact me at (916) 921-6400 for free, friendly advice. You may dial me free of toll at (800) 404-5400 for free and friendly advice if you are calling from outside of the Chico and Sacramento areas.
My law office is a proud member for the Million Dollar Advocates Forum. Forum members are top trial lawyers who have garnered multi-million dollar case verdicts and settlements.
Browse my Previous Verdicts and Settlements webpage.
I am the founder of AutoAccident.com, the most informational and extensive personal injury website in Northern California.
Information Attribution for Chico Train Kills Pedestrian: http://www.krcrtv.com/news/breaking-news/pedestrian-killed-after-colliding-with-train-in-chico/67373782
Photo Attribution: Wiki Media Commons – MTR_C_KTL_KOB.jpg