Sacramento Personal Injury Lawyer Discusses Wrong way driving accidents
Ed Smith is a Sacramento personal injury lawyer serving those who have been involved in car accidents over the past 33 years. Ed has seen his fair share of despicable actions while driving. Yet none seem to compare to the unforgettable scene of carnage that results when a driver enters a freeway going the wrong direction.
Preventing Wrong way Driving Accidents
We are in urgent need for a way to improve the safety of our highways. Especially in the area of injuries and fatalities resulting from wrong way freeway drivers.
California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) staff will be investigating several freeway on ramps in and around Sacramento as part of a pilot program to reduce wrong way freeway driving fatalities.
This comes in response to the volume of deadly wrong way driving accidents occurring on our state’s highways. The pilot program, also being tested in San Diego county, will look at seeing if making some minor revisions to our freeway on ramps will eliminate or lessen the number of wrong way freeway driving accidents.
Source: Sacramento Bee, http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/article47664445.html
Why Do Drivers Enter Freeways going the wrong direction?
Ed Smith, explains that many times it is a drunk driver. The Sacramento personal injury lawyer discusses wrong way driving accidents and how we might avoid these situations.
How can I avoid a drunk driver proceeding the wrong way on the freeway?
Here are a few tips I recommend:
- Consider avoiding the fast lane of the freeway at night. When a wrong way driver first enters the freeway they usually do so in what they believe is the slow lane of their direction of travel. In actuality, they are coming down the freeway in the fast lane. This is not to say they will stay in that lane, but for the most part this is the approach route.
- When driving at night on the freeway I look at the tail lights ahead of me while keeping a careful distance between me and the other drivers.
- Be sure to stay alert and watch all lanes of the freeway. You are keeping a lookout for headlights coming at you.
- If you see a wrong way driver approaching you may only have moments to safely respond.
- Exit the lane quickly and safely as is reasonably possible. If you have time, it would help to flash your lights and honk your horn.
- When you pull over to the side of the road, immediately call 911 and report what you saw.
If you or someone you love is injured by a wrong way driver please call Ed Smith’s office immediately at (916) 921-6400. We are here to assist you in recovering damages for the negligence caused by the wrong way driver.
Ed has built a compelling injury accident website called: autoaccident.com. On this website, you may read more about wrong way driving accidents and the serious injuries and fatalities they cause. We also have topics on our website for victims injured by drunk drivers, distracted drivers (texting while driving) and those involved in trucking and motorcycle accidents. We encourage you to visit.