Elk Grove Motorists Still Distracted
Hands Free Technology Phones and Cars Still Distracting Us
A recent study by, AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety, points out that we remain distracted long after we cease texting.
According to the study, potentially unsafe distractions may persist in our mind for roughly 27 seconds after dialing, voice command texting, calling or changing music.
These studies are pointing the spotlight directly on the use of phones and vehicle information systems (hands free systems) built into automobiles. Even with voice command phones, new research shows that our driving is affected long after we’ve completed the task that distracted us in the first place. Same goes with hands free technology utilized in new automobiles. It is equally distracting.
These types of distractions many times manifest into a recipe for disaster. Many motorists miss a stop sign, fail to see a pedestrian or other vehicle when they go from attentive driving, to monkeying with their device and resuming their attention to the road.
How is California Dealing with Dangers of Distracted Driving?
- In 2009, the State of California banned driving while writing, reading or sending a text message. It is illegal in the State of California.
- In April of each year law enforcement officers take part in National Distracted Driving Awareness Month
- Also in April, Teen Safe Driving Week, Impact Teen Drivers, because in In 2009, 3,242 teenagers between 15-19 lost their lives in auto accidents. (2009: Centers for Disease Control)
- Law Enforcement perform crackdowns, but the problem still exists
- The Office of Traffic Safety puts out public service announcements called “Silence the Distraction.”
- Unfortunately, many times it takes a tragic event before one changes their mind about texting while driving.
How is Elk Grove Dealing with Distracted Drivers?
- Elk Grove Police Department has random crackdowns on distracted drivers. The last one was on July 14, 2015.
- For teen drivers, the Elk Grove Police Department and Sacramento District Attorney’s Office presents, Before the Impact. A very poignant and gripping production of the dangers of distracted and/or impaired driving. This production also tells the story from a vantage point of being in the car as a passenger with a distracted/impaired driver.
Distracted Driving is Like Driving Blind
Follow this link to see a link to our website which includes the video, Distracted Driving is Like Driving Blind, by Edward A. Smith.
Elk Grove Personal Injury Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, an Elk Grove Personal Injury Lawyer. I have been handling auto accident cases involving victims of distracted drivers in Elk Grove for a very long time. If you or someone you love has been injured or killed by the negligent act of another, please call me at (916) 694-0002 for free, friendly advice. If you are outside the Elk Grove/Sacramento area, you can call us at (800) 404-5400.
The Law Offices of Edward A. Smith has built the most comprehensive auto accident information website available on the web: autoaccident.com.
Image Attribution: AutoAccident.com [own work]