- Park in areas that are highly visible and well-lit.
- Shop with a friend or family member.
- Ideally, park your car in shopping centers that have video surveillance cameras.
- Choose parking lots that have mobile security patrol.
- Carry wallet in an interior pocket of your jacket rather than your back pocket.
- Women may opt to leave purses at home and carry cash and credit cards in interior pockets also.
- If using a purse, keep it strapped to your body and be sure it’s closed with no phone/wallet visible.
- Pay attention to your surroundings. Don’t be an easy target for crooks.
- Have your keys out and ready before leaving the shopping center. Walk to your car with purpose.
- Always look around you and inside of your car before getting in. Especially at night.
- Be cautious of strangers asking questions or needing your assistance. It could be a scam.
The above tips may sound redundant to some. Extreme to others. The point is, seasonal thieves are getting braver each year. Many times it takes a tragic incident like the one above, or a video like the one that follows, to convince us just how vulnerable and oblivious we are to our surroundings.
Please take a moment to watch this Youtube video: Tips From a Thief Part 1 – Holiday Safety. See for yourself how skilled thieves have become in targeting their unsuspecting victims. This short video just may change the way you shop this holiday season.
By viewing the above Youtube video and reading our Elk Grove holiday shopping safety tips, we hope you and your loved ones will be a lot safer this season.
I’m Ed Smith, an Elk Grove Personal Injury Lawyer. The Law Offices of Edward A. Smith has been assisting injury victims throughout Elk Grove and Sacramento for over thirty-three years. If you or someone you know has been the victim of a serious personal injury due to the negligence of someone else, call me immediately at (916) 694-0002 for free, friendly advice. Read our reviews on: Yelp, Avvo, and Google Plus.
The Law Offices of Edward A. Smith has built the most comprehensive injury information website available on the web: autoaccident.com.
I am a distinguished member of the Million Dollar Advocates Forum.
Read our verdicts and settlements page!